Thursday, April 5, 2007

Waldo had it right the first time.

Eric Wynalda, the all-time leading scorer for the US national team (at least until the next time the US plays a true CONCACAF minnow and Donovan scores 5), is an asshole.

And I say that in the best sense of the word.

He's full of hot air and half-baked ideas, but he at least speaks his mind. Although he was sometimes a dominant player, more often he was a malcontent-- a locker room cancer. Which makes him a great pundit, regardless of whether he's right or wrong.

But once in a while, he gets something just right:
"Jim Rome can suck my dick. And he should be very afraid, because I'm the kind of guy, if I get too many drinks in me, I will club his ass."

Bravo, Waldo.

Unfortunately, Waldo decided this was a little over the top and apologized to Jim Rome. Rome, a soccer "hater" (in quotes because I assume Rome really just enjoys the attention he gets from hyperventilating soccer fans), is a brash, over-the-top, personality. In other words, the kind of guy that would, in the real world, merit a beat-down.

Of course, Waldo wouldn't really club Jim Rome's ass. And Jim probably wouldn't suck Waldo's dick either. Wynalda's simply responding to Rome in a manner appropriate to Rome's own tone. To me, that deserves applause rather than an apology.

No comments: