Friday, May 9, 2008

An Historic Event

Last night, over eighteen thousand spectators witnessed history at RFK. No, I'm not talking about DC's sponsorship deal with Volkswagen. I'm talking about the presence of three players with the first name Gonzalo being on the field at the same time (Martinez, Peralta, and Segares).

Unfortunately for DC, one Gonzalo was better than two in this case.

United had another miserable night. You might say that the head-scratching continues, but that wouldn't be quite right: I think we know what's wrong with United. Kevin Payne started to call out players for taking plays off. Coach Soehn called out Santino Quaranta for not marking Justin Mapp on the first Fire goal. Personally, I thought Quaranta's effort has been decent. Instead, I've been noticing more how Clyde Simms isn't controlling the midfield for United. He's a good player, so I first wondered whether it was because turnover on other parts of the field were leading to breakdowns that Simms had to clean up. That might be true to a point, but it looks like he's letting the game get away from him too-- his inability to close down Gomez (a tough task, no doubt) against Colorado definitely contributed to DC's loss.

In short, I think United needs a couple upgrades in the middle.

In other news
Have you ever noticed how worthless the fantasy player picks are in Kevin Costigan's weekly power rankings for Fox Sports? Ezra Hendrickson? Jesse Marsch? Shea Salinas? I'm not sure Costigan gets how fantasy sports work...

No comments: